Sunday 13 June 2010

Vale of Leven 10k

I completed my second 10k road race of the weekend this morning - the Vale of Leven 10k at Balloch. I was hoping to show off the sunglasses I won at Bendrigg yesterday but they definitely were not required. The warm sunshine of yesterday had made way for a grey, wet morning.

After yesterday's race, my legs weren't feeling too bad but I was not looking forward to asking them to race again today. Driving down to the start at Loch Lomond I decided to take it easy and just get round to complete the fourth and last race in the Polaroid series. I didn't have a target in mind - just to run and enjoy it. However, as soon as I was lining up at the start I began to think it would be good to try and run inside 40 mins.

I did take it very easy at the start and until we finished climbing at about 2.5km. I then started to work my through the field on the downhill section that followed. At halfway, I was inside 20 mins, passing runners and feeling quite comfortable. The hill at 7km brought back some bad memories of Bendrigg but I was flying over the last few km. With about 800 metres to go I passed Chris Upson , who had done a 10 mile hill race yesterday, and we both managed a sprint to the finish line to dip under 39 mins. I ran 38.50 for 52 place.

Gerry Craig ran his first race since the Edinburgh Marathon and was pleased with his progress to finish in 37.41. Ralph Connolly ran a PB and edged closer to his goal of a sub 40 min clocking but just missed it by 5 seconds! Christine Catterson 45.01 and Donald Branney 45.10 completed the Victoria Park City of Glasgow finishers this morning.

Results

No comments:

Post a Comment