Tuesday 18 May 2010

Monklands Half Marathon - Sunday 16th May

This was my first race since London Marathon and I wasn't sure how my legs would respond to running fast again. I haven't done this race before but I was warned that it was a challenging course and it didn't disappoint in that respect. Basically one small lap and two large laps in and around Drumpelier Country Park in Coatbridge. I don't recall any flat bits - nothing too steep but always seemed to be running up or down. The toughest climb came near the end of the second and third laps and seemed to drag on for ever!

After a reasonably easy start I tagged on to the back of two Kirkintilloch boys but they left me on the second lap as the field started to spread out. I kept a reasonable pace going on the second lap but my legs were screaming the second time up the hill. I was passed by one runner on the second lap, managed to catch one of the Kirkintilloch runners and was closing the second one down as the finish line came into sight.

My time was slightly down 1.23.15 but I put that down to the course and the after affects of London Marathon. I was pleased with 12th overall and first Vet though. I am told that the David Morrison Memorial Trophy is on it's way to me. That's two trophies already this year and it is only May - I am thinking of contacting Everton FC to see if I can lease some space in their trophy room!

Results

No comments:

Post a Comment