Monday 21 June 2010

Kirkintilloch 10k - Update

I completed my 5th race in two weeks last Thursday - the Kirkintilloch 10k. There seemed to be a bigger and better quality field this year for what is a very enjoyable multi terrain race. It was a warm evening again and wary of the fact that I have been over-racing recently, I started off at a fairly steady pace. The first few km felt relatively easy but I noted I was in agroup that included some runners that have been around a minute ahead of me in recent 10k races.

Most of the race is along the tow path of the Forth and Clyde Canal. Not the best surface for speed but at least it is flat. At about 4km it opened up a bit and the field was starting to spread out a little. At half way we turn off the canal and up a steep hill towards Bishopbriggs. The next 2km are along the road before turning back onto the canal. Gerry Craig had opened up a gap but as we turned back onto the canal I saw Chris Upson and Paul Carroll not far behind.

I worked as hard as I could back along the canal and was starting to close Gerry down a little but couldn't catch him as the finish approached. 19th place and 37.33. not a bad performance on this course.

The race was won by Eritrean asylum seeker Robel Negash of Bellahouston Harriers in 32.14 almost a minute ahead of Shettleston's Paul Sorrie.

Gerry Craig finished in 37.26 and 17th position and Peter Ramsay 44.05 - 69th position.

No comments:

Post a Comment