Thursday 12 August 2010

Broadwood 5k

I ran the Broadwood 5k tonight. Organised by Kirkintilloch Olympians, starting and finishing at the Broadwood stadium in Cumbernauld. I finished in 18.50 - full results and report to follow.

.........after a crowded start, at 1k I was flying along. At 2k I was gasping for air, at 3k I was wondering why I was putting myself through this. At 4 k I was hanging on, at 5k it was all over and I was wondering why it had been so long since I ran a 5k race. It hurt like hell and I couldn't maintain the pace I wanted to run on this twisty off-road course but it was a good hard work-out and I have to admit - once it was over - i realised I enjoyed it. I finished in 18.50, 18th position and 1st V50.
My best ever time for 5k was 16.20 at the Southport Town Centre races in 1992. My Broadwood 5k time would have put me in 25th position in the Southport Town Centre open race in 1999 (I think the last year these popular races were held - but Brian Grice might be able to correct me). Tipton Harrier, Nick Jones won the 'Elite' race that year in 14.32 almost a full minute ahead of 2nd placed Paul Howarth. Rick Bowker was the only Southport Waterloo runner to take part in the elite field that year and finished last in 18.13. However, he was clearly only using this as a warm up for the open race where he finished in 8th place 17.38. Brian Gow was the fastest SWAC runner on the night with 17.18 for 5th place. John Burnett was just one place and 3 seconds behind him. Geoff Caton was the first V45 in 18.07.

No comments:

Post a Comment