Sunday 5 September 2010

Great Scottish Run




A huge field took part in this morning's Great Scottish Run. Just under 8000 finished the 10k race, won by Shettleston's Matthew Gillespie in 31.12. The last finisher crossed the line in 3.34.27. Just under 9000 competed the half marathon won in 1.01.53 by Ethiopian runner Hailu Mekennen. Andy Hudson and Vicky Harvey travelled from Southport but both were doubtful due to injury. Vicky ruled herself out after an easy run on Saturday but Andy decided to start the race and hope his achilles problems allowed him to finish. I had hoped to run sub 80 minutes, a tough call but I thought it might be possible. There were a few changes to the course this year, the most significant being in the first mile, heading straight up St Vincent Street. This meant a steep climb for the first mile before heading through Finnieston and over the Kingston Bridge from the west. With such a big field I knew I needed to get a good quick start but went far too fast on the challenging first mile. I hit the first mile marker in 5.54! At 4 miles I was spot on the pace i needed but felt it was going to be difficult to keep it going and I had drifted well of the pace by half way. With runners passing me I was into damage limitation mode and managed to keep a reasonable pace going to finish in 1.23.46 for 117th and 6th vet 50. Over three minutes slower than last year. I finished disappointed with my time but I gave it a go - I might have taken it easier at the start but I am not sure it would have improved my time by that much - I just didn't have it in my legs on the day. Andy overcame his injury problems to finish in 1.31.57, a little slower than last year but pleased to have got round in one piece. Andy was 393rd and 24th vet45. I hope to post more photos in the next few days.

Update: for Andy's information - former Pop Idol winner and co-host of teatime TV show 'The Hour' Michelle McManus completed the 10k in 1 hour 42 minutes.

Photos by Chris Upson




No comments:

Post a Comment