Friday 12 November 2010

Return of a classic

I was very pleased to hear that the Llandudno 10 mile road race is to return in 2011. This used to be a big fixture in the Southport Waterloo calendar and one of my favourite races. It was a flat, fast course that attracted a top class field from all over the UK. The race was first held in 1983 and it's list of past winners reads like a who's who of British distance running. The first ever winner was the British international steeplechaser, Roger Hackney in 48.09. By 1985 it had become the biggest 10 mile race in the UK. 1986 saw a top class field including, Charlie Spedding, John Gladwyn and Max Coleby but it was Liverpool Pembroke's Martin McLoughlin who won it in 49.45. In 1989, Welshman Steve 'the race' Brace was a popular winner. Bashir Hussein, Nigel Adams, Tipton's Nick Jones and Paul Cadwallader all won this race over the years and at its peak it attracted over 5000 runners.
It was without a doubt one of my favourite races and was held in the middle of November each year. In the eighties, Southport Waterloo used to send a coach load of runners to compete this classic race. After moving to Glasgow in 2001, it was too far for me to travel but I was still sad to see the last one run in 2005. Difficulty in getting enough volunteers to ensure the safe running of this event was cited as the reason for it's demise.
I will need to dig out my old results to see what my best time was for this race but I certainly used to run 56 and 57 minutes there. Who could forget coming down onto the promenade and seeing the long sweep of the promenade and the finish line still a half mile of lung busting running away.
The race will be held on 22 May next year and so it may well have a different feel to the freezing temperatures and biting winds that often greeted the runners in November but I for one am pleased to see it return. I might even make the long trip from Scotland to take part. Maybe it should be in the SWAC Grand Prix next year - over to you Rick.

No comments:

Post a Comment