Saturday 6 November 2010

Glasgow University Road Race

Inverclyde's Chris Mackay shaved a few seconds of his winning time last year to retain the title this afternoon, beating club mate Andrew Douglas by just 12 seconds. His winning time of 23.57 is very impressive for this tough race around the Garscube estate and Maryhill. A five mile course that takes in two hills and a deceivingly long drag up Temple Rd from Anniesland on each of two laps.

With doubts in my mind about how running Kielder Marathon 3 weeks ago would effect me today, I set off at a steady pace and ran within myself for the first lap. I didn't feel too bad and pushed on a bit over the second lap. I was running well at this time last year but still didn't crack 30 minutes on this course finishing in 30.20 for 51st place. I wasn't expecting to get anywhere near that this time out but I seemed to maintain a good pace on the second lap and was surprised to cross the line in 30.47 and 52nd place. Disappointingly, that put me only 6th in my age group , won by Kilbarchan's Donald Petrie in 29.07. There is always a top class field for this classic race and this year was no exception with 178 finishers and 42 of them under 30 minutes. First woman was Elspeth Curran from Glasgow University in 27.44.

First in for Victoria Park City of Glasgow was Allan Ramsay (16th in 27.18) ahead of his dad, Peter (90th in 33.38) and Kenny McVey taking the 2nd V60 spot in 34.19.

Results

No comments:

Post a Comment